Sunday, March 14, 2010

Week 8 - Experience

This activity was loads of fun! I enjoyed the learning activities more than I did the evaluation activities. I discovered that Web sites I find useful, may not be up-to-date. I say that because I could not readily find the information regarding “last updated”. I know I have seen the notation last updated on professional group Web sites; e.g. physician associations, educator associations. I just do not recollect seeing it on sites such as the ones I have been using. Now, I will know to look for that date. With math, unlike many subjects, I am not certain how much “new information” is readily available.

Since my teaching experience is in the area of GED preparation, I guess the only new information I would expect to find would be that of GED testing requirements. Math, pretty much remains the same, so I am not certain I am bothered when I do not find a new revision date listed. Now, I do find the newest copyright information. This info includes the origination date of the site, and two of the three sites listed 2010 as the second range date. I am guessing that is the revision date, huh?

I also noticed that the Web sites were more specific with the math appropriate age range than I thought. I just have never looked at the age recommendation information. I just know the site included information I needed, and with the varied skill levels I teach, it was a benefit that some of the information was more remedial than most may want to use in class.

Let me back up for a minute to the puzzle and test. These were superb tools for a new teacher, or anyone. I find I can use the test maker for daily isolation skill building tests, or for the more involved tests. This site will also be beneficial to developing individualized tests – not the struggle it has been in the past! I mean, I can make the test as soon as class is over!

The puzzle center was not my favorite. I find Discovery Education has a better site for creating useful puzzles. I found I could only get 10 of the 20 definitions included in the puzzle center creation, and I was able to get all 20 in with the Discovery Education puzzle maker site. I do not mind if the puzzle is spread out, I just need all the vocabulary to be available. Otherwise, it is not as useful.

Great time with this assignment!

TrackStar
Rubric
Quiz
Puzzle
Progress Report
Flyer

2 comments:

  1. Adele,

    I really enjoyed reading your reflection and sharing your thought on how to integrate these tools into your class. I am glad that you found these tools are useful. I would like to view your projects after reading your blog. But you forgot to link them. You can add these link by clicking the Pen icon at the bottom of your posting to go back to your post content and add those links. Let me know if you need help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, that the web pages are going to be very useful in the classroom. I had a little trouble with some of these assignments but it made it worthwhile seeing them finished. Good job!

    ReplyDelete