Sunday, May 2, 2010

Course Reflection

I remember what I thought when I saw the list of projects for this class. Wow, this will be great was not among the thoughts I had. This class consisted of new information to me. I was scared from the moment I read the syllabus. Maybe I had a little experience with one or two of the lessons, but overall, it was foreign to me. I admit that most of what I was reading initially interested me. I am curious by nature, and I like to think I am informed about new technology.

 Hindsight reminds me that the lessons were step-by-step instruction, and there was no need to be apprehensive about accomplishing any of the assignments. It was just the getting started that made this such a tough class. I admit that once I started a lesson, it was simple. The instruction was clear, concise, and the explanation on use made this an enjoyable assignment each time.
 I struggled with the concept of blogging. I do not like to blog, or to read blogs. I do not like the idea of using them as a learning tool in class for my high school students. I think a blog is too unstructured for student use, and for teacher use too much of an opportunity to bloviate. I am glad I had the opportunity to develop a blog site, but since most schools do not allow use, I am not sure when I would use it again.
 The flyer assignment is a great tool for me as a teacher. One area of improvement for teachers should be written communication between students and parents. How much more interesting would be simple instructions, meetings, and the like, if it was more creative and visually appealing. The visual reinforcement of information is a powerful tool. I guess I was just waiting for someone to give me the go-ahead to communicate like this with students and parents.
 The progress chart is an excellent tool for teachers. It seems that most schools have a program designed to track required information. I do believe there is more class specific information that would be better understood if tracked on a less formal way; this progress report is a good tool. I will be able to use it right away in my class since it is a unique program, and no formal format is in place.
 It is impossible to ignore the use of the quiz in the classroom. Using PowerPoint to present a quiz is a fantastic way to check student progress. This is especially helpful for visual learners. Once the quiz is set up, it is easy to make it a permanent fixture for learning. This tool can also be designed to any subject matter for the classroom.
 The other tools I worked with were the puzzle maker, test maker, and the Rubric. Well, I can tell you that these tools have a place in the classroom every day. With the varied learners in each class, these tools will make it possible to meet the needs of many students. The Rubric is one tool I knew something about, but I never thought about its utility. I now understand the need for the Rubric. The Rubric is especially important to me, because it will help me focus on what I am trying to accomplish. The student will see this as a value in understanding expectations for an assignment.
 A Web site has a lot of potential for a classroom. I did not know anything about the design and set-up of a Web site before this class. I plan to use this tool, even if it is not specific to my class. The school has a Web site, and I cannot do anything online for my class. Again, I think some school systems have space for teachers to do a small Web site, but that is not everywhere. I also believe that the Web site will require a lot of time, if it is to be effective. The information on design was helpful. Not only did I learn how to best design for my class, but I now know how to look for the best designed sites for parents and students. My recommendations should be credible.
 TrackStar is an excellent tool for teachers. It will provide information about useful Web sites for the class. Since there are so many Web sites, it is imperative that the teacher provide help in determining which the best are for both parent and student. The Listserv is a tool useful to create easy-access to information for your specific audience. I see the utility, but am not sure how useful it is without a Web site.
 Lights, camera, action. . .this tool is fantastic. I do not believe it should be used just for a Web site. This is a tool for classroom use. The students can collect, organize, and evaluate information to present in a movie. At my school, there is a requirement that the students tape the reading of one essay. How much stronger this will be, when the student uses Movie Maker to complete this assignment. The student will be able to see what they are doing – doesn’t get any better than that for learning!
 For me, I still have a lot to learn. I will need to continue to use these tools to become proficient and comfortable in using them. I have to be careful not to let these tools take over my teaching. I still have a place in the classroom as a teacher. I want to be innovative, but I must let these tools find a place in the lessons. I plan to continue developing better ways to use technology in the classroom. If I stay with the school where I am now, the smallest amount of technology is big. The most useful tools for me in this setting are all the tools that do not require access to the internet.
 I highly recommend this class to anyone who will be teaching. I also see it as valuable to anyone involved in training, or general communication to a group. Once more, it was scarier looking than it really was to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment